A family walk of celebration for EDAW'08

In the last week of February 2008 I walked with several friends from Southwark in London to Canterbury in Kent roughly following the route taken by Chaucer's pilgrims. The aim was to raise both funds and awareness for beat (formerly the Eating Disorders Association) in their awareness week . This blog is my reflection on the walk complete with pictures. For an alternative slant on it and stats on the fundraising see our other website www.walk4beat.co.uk

Monday 3 March 2008

The pilgrims

The Prologue
In the style of Chaucer, I'll start by introducing the pilgrims.

The mother
First there's me. I'm obviously not QUITE so unfit as I thought I was. I'm certainly no sportswoman, but I made it to the end without major body strain and with no blisters. I've wanted to walk the Pilgrim's Way for years and the co-incidence of being in Southwark where Chaucer's pilgrims started and having a week in which to raise awareness for beat seemed enough to run with. This time last year I probably wouldn't have had the courage to do it or the realisation that I'm not indispensable at home, but this year, having said I'd do it, I got caught up in the enthusiasm of others and began to believe that, just perhaps, it would become a reality.


The friends
I honestly don't think Connie had a clue what she was letting herself in for when she said she'd walk with me, but walk she did, all the way to the end. On the way we had both tears and fun, and it was a real pleasure to have a week together.

Ann-Marie was much more fit when she volunteered to walk, and throughout the days it showed rather. I think we sometimes slowed her down, but she put up with our tortoise-like behaviour. Born profoundly deaf, Ann-Marie has overcome many obstacles in life, and this walk was probably a breeze compared to some of them. Her presence was an inspiration to Connie and me, and without her we probably wouldn't have got to the end.

The girls
Lisa and Nicola registered to walk the first mile, but ended up walking five with us. They were great fun and we enjoyed their company enormously.
Louise walked the most difficult day, day three, when we were crabbed and unpleasant company. Bravely she joined us as planned for the fourth day also. She is a wonderful girl and it was amazing to meet her.
The grandmother
My mother fully intended to walk with us, but an unfortunate foot injury prevented it. Instead she performed the vital task of fetching and carrying us from some of our stops, and was there both at the beginning to wave us off and at the end to welcome us home.

The sister
My sister did day four with us, and helped to make it the day of most fun for all of us. It was lovely to see you Juliette, hope you enjoyed yourself.



The Priests

When I've finished writing all the rest of the thank you letters, I'm going to write to Archbishop Rowan to thank him for his Church. The CofE gets a lot of bad press, some of it deserved, but in his own back yard, it certainly knows how to support a weary pilgrim or two. We were given a truly holy send off by Canon Jane at Southwark, a warm welcome and some good practical support by Philip at Rochester, and our whole families were received and blessed at the end by Canon Claire of Canterbury. Through the wonders of text messaging we also had Kathryn our personal priest with us all the way.

The senior citizens

Peter and Sally joined us for part of day four. Peter's knowledge of the area and of walking in general was phenominal, and it was just splendid to have Sally the listener with us as we walked through some of the most beautiful of countryside.

The Professor
Professor Janet Treasure, who is, as Bill
described her, one of those people with more letters after her name than in it, DID wave us off from Southwark but I can't prove it. I don't have any photos because, bless her, she was holding the cameras.

The dignitaries
Nigel Wheeler is a friend of my father's. He is also High Sheriff of Kent.
More importantly he is also a charismatic and inspiring person. We were very blessed to have him walk with us on day four. I say walk with US, because he actually walked with the "fast group" including Louise and Ann-Marie, leaving the tortoises (me, Connie and Juliette) more time to admire the scenery and take in the fresh air ;-)
He was joined for part of the walk by Richard a local councillor, and by several other friends who didn't make it into the photos. The monk in the picture however, did not move a muscle to help us, but I think you'll agree he's a fu
n sort of person to meet on your way.

The husband

Bill probably deserves a post of his own. Without him the walk would undoubtedly have remained a dream and Connie's offer to come with me just a passing joke. Bill spent hours on the website planning the routes and advertising the walk. All the time we were walking he was supporting us and tracking our movements. He was there at the end in Canterbury, but then again he was there all the way along too really.



No comments: