A family walk of celebration for EDAW'08

In the last week of February 2008 I walked with several friends from Southwark in London to Canterbury in Kent roughly following the route taken by Chaucer's pilgrims. The aim was to raise both funds and awareness for beat (formerly the Eating Disorders Association) in their awareness week . This blog is my reflection on the walk complete with pictures. For an alternative slant on it and stats on the fundraising see our other website www.walk4beat.co.uk

Saturday 24 November 2007

Why?

There was an excellent piece on Radio 4's Excess Baggage today about the medieval pilgrims. I guess in many ways my aims are the same as theirs - to do some good both to me and to the world, and to have fun along the way.

Why the Pilgrim's Way? Because I loved studying Chaucer at school and have always wanted to walk more of the route than I did with the church youth group when I was 16.

Why b-eat? Because the organisation, and in particular our local organiser Pat, continue to provide me with understanding and support as I attempt to support my daughter who has had eating problems.

Why February? well the weather might not be as kind to us as it was to Chaucer's pilgrims but we'll take the risk. It's because it's when Eating Disorders Awareness Week is and the walk is very much about generating awareness. If we wrap up warm we'll be fine.

No comments: