A family walk of celebration for EDAW'08

In the last week of February 2008 I walked with several friends from Southwark in London to Canterbury in Kent roughly following the route taken by Chaucer's pilgrims. The aim was to raise both funds and awareness for beat (formerly the Eating Disorders Association) in their awareness week . This blog is my reflection on the walk complete with pictures. For an alternative slant on it and stats on the fundraising see our other website www.walk4beat.co.uk

Thursday 22 November 2007

Company

I'd always intended to do the walk with others. Unfortunately my dear father who inspired me to "get involved" is going to be getting himself involved in the England Cricket Tour to New Zealand, so won't be able to walk with me, but I'm very much hoping that my mother, sister, brother-in-law and one or both of my daughters will do bits with me.

For me though, "family" has a wider definition, and I'm absolutely delighted that not only may my lovely god-daughter who is in the picture join in a little bit, but her mother is going to attempt the lot.

We've been "training" today. We reckon we did about 6 miles in under 2 1/2 hours and don't feel too dead at the end of it. We've also delivered b-eat leaflets to ten doctors' surgeries and an obliging pharmacy (and been turned away from an unobliging one) so it's not bad for our first attempt.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Given the steepness of the hills in the Stroud valley, the sooner the dogs and I find a slot in which to join your training, the better...